Hello lovelies, welcome back to my blog. We are all aware of the season we are in (it is the season of getting fat, lol just kidding), this is my favorite holiday and season of the year. So friends, through out this month I am going to be rolling out Christmas recipes for you all. These recipes are very appropriate for the season and also they are also easy to make. I have decided to create some these recipes with some amazing chefs and cooks I know. This first recipe (Appple pie delight) I am going to be sharing with you all today was created by my dear friend and amazing chef Imke, I must say friends, this was one of the best thing I have ever tasted. Apple pie is a very common dish and you must have had it before or even know an apple pie recipe, but nothing can be compared to the twist Imke put on this traditional dish hence the name Apple pie delight. Let me not even get started on the brandy butterscotch sauce.
To make this Christmas dish you will have to get all the components right. So friends follow the recipe thoroughly.
(NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A JAFFLE IRON, YOU CAN USE A SANDWICH MAKER)
Lets get to the recipe.
Crème Fraiche Cream:
Brandy Butterscotch Sauce:
Apple Pie Delight Filling:
- 1 tbsp. brandy butterscotch sauce
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- For the Crème Fraiche Cream, whip crème fraiche or yogurt and cream to soft peaks. Add sugar and lemon and mix to combine. Set aside in a small serving dish, covered, in the fridge, until needed.
- For the Spiced Dust, place spices on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Toast the spices in the pre-heated oven for 7-8 minutes until aromatic.
- Once spices are toasted, transfer to a mortar and pestle, or spice grinder, and grind to a fine powder. Add sugar and stir through to combine. Set aside until needed.
- Increase oven to 180C.
- For the Oat Crumble, mix together dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add butter and rub through using fingertips to form a rough crumb.
- Spread the crumble mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 10 minutes until golden. Remove tray from oven and set aside to cool until needed.
- For the Brandy Butterscotch Sauce, place sugar, crème fraiche (or yogurt), cream and butter in medium non-stick frypan and cook on medium heat until bubbling and sugar has dissolved. Add salt and brandy, reduce heat slightly and simmer for 5 minutes before pouring into a small jug. Set aside, keeping warm until needed.
- To prepare the Apple pie delight Filling, place brown sugar into medium frypan and cook over medium high heat until sugar has melted. Add apples, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, brandy and 20ml water, reduce heat and gently simmer until apples are soft.
- To assemble the apple pie delight, spread slices of bread with Butter. Place a slice of bread into sandwich or jaffle iron and top with ¼ of apple mix then top with buttered bread. Close iron and cook until golden brown. Transfer to a warm oven to keep warm while preparing remaining apple pie delight.
- To serve, cut each delight in half. Place 2 delight halves, overlapping, on each plate. Sprinkle Oat Crumble on top of each apple pie delight. Sieve Spiced Dust over each plate and serve with a ramekin of Crème Fraiche Cream and jug of Brandy butter scotch Sauce.
- Enjoy your delight with black tea, coffee or red wine.
Stay tuned for more recipes.