Green tea has increasingly become a very popular drink worldwide because of its immensely powerful health benefits. Green tea is more than just green liquid. Did you know that it can help you burn up to 200 extra calories a day? (Now that’s a number I like to hear)
My love for green tea started November last year, when I said bye-bye to sugar and coffee, I decided to try it out for a week and friends I can now say I am an addict. I am so in love now. I love everything about this tea; most especially the fact that it helps keep my weight in check and makes me sleep better. Green tea is the healthiest beverage on the planet .But I know green tea does more than just helping with weight loss and sleep, so here are some of the other amazing benefits of Green tea.
- Weight Loss: Green tea increases the metabolism. The polyphenol found in green tea works to intensify levels of fat oxidation and the rate at which your body turns food into calories.
- Diabetes:Green tea apparently helps regulate glucose levels slowing the rise of blood sugar after eating. This can prevent high insulin spikes and resulting fat storage.
- Heart Disease: Scientists think green tea works on the lining of blood vessels, helping keep them stay relaxed and better able to withstand changes in blood pressure. It may also protect against the formation of clots, which are the primary cause of heart attacks. Green tea helps prevent heart disease and stroke by lowering the level of cholesterol. Even after the heart attack it prevents cell deaths and speeds up the recovery of heart cells.
- Cancer: Green tea helps reduce the risk of cancer. The antioxidant in green tea is 100 times more effective than vitamin C and 24 times better than vitamin E. This helps your body at protecting cells from damage believed to be linked to cancer.
- Cholesterol: Green tea reduces bad cholesterol in the blood and improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol. (I remember sometime last year I checked my cholesterol level it was so high , my doctor advised me to go get green tea, I was like ‘huh’ what does green tea have to do with cholesterol…………now I know, my cholesterol level is now super normal)
- Tooth Decay: Studies suggests that the chemical antioxidant “catechin” in tea can destroy bacteria and viruses that cause throat infections, dental caries and other dental conditions
- Blood Pressure: Regular consumption of green tea is thought to reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
- Depression: Theanine is an amino acid naturally found in tea leaves. It is this substance that is thought to provide a relaxing and tranquilizing effect and be a great benefit to tea drinkers. (I guess this is why I sleep better now)
- Anti-viral and Anti-bacterial: Tea catechins are strong antibacterial and antiviral agents which make them effective for treating everything from influenza to cancer. In some studies green tea has been shown to inhibit the spread of many diseases.
- Skincare: Green tea can apparently also help with wrinkles and the signs of aging; this is because of their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Human studies have demonstrated that green tea applied topically can reduce sun damage.(I use green tea as a toner also, which is super great)
How I take my green tea
I take about 3-5cups daily. I don’t take mine with sugar or honey; sometimes I add ginger, a slice of lemon or ginseng powder, 2-5 cups in a day will give you all the health benefits you need from green tea in that day.
So get a packet from a store or supermarket now, and enjoy all these amazing health benefits in a cup.