I recently met up with a group of young girls through my non-profit, and I spoke to them about self confidence and esteem, I felt so bad when one of the girls told me that she has never felt beautiful. I immediately told her my own story of how I had a bad esteem issue when I was in junior secondary school, and I told her how I gained confidence and how I currently love myself and the woman I am becoming. A lot of young girls in secondary school and even young adults go through esteem issues and it breaks my heart that they have no to share this with. Low confidence or low self esteem can be self destructive if not tackled with. Even I found my way to self confidence and a good esteem, and it basically started with loving me for me. Here’s my approach to gaining confidence.
- Know Your Worth: This is the first and most important approach to gaining confidence. You have to understand that you are worth it, understand that you matter, understand that you have a purpose.
- Get To Know Yourself/Shun Negative Thoughts: When going into battle, the wisest general learns to know his enemy very, very well. You can’t defeat the enemy without knowing him. And when you’re trying to overcome a negative self-image and replace it with self-confidence, your enemy is yourself. Get to know yourself well. Start listening to your thoughts. Low self-confidence is often caused by the negative thoughts running through our minds on an endless track. If you are constantly bashing yourself and saying you’re not good enough, aren’t attractive enough, aren’t smart enough, and on and on, you are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. You are becoming what you are preaching inside your head, and that’s not good. The next time you hear that negativity in your head, switch it immediately to a positive affirmation and keep it up until it hits the caliber of a self-confidence boost.
- Smile More & Go The Extra Mile: Want to appear beautiful, smile often, also put more effort in your appearance. I have said it in a previous post that dressing well and smelling good is an instant self confidence boost. Style your hair, give yourself a clean shave, dress nicely. Wear clothes that compliments you and makes you feel very comfortable.
- Surround Yourself With Positive People: This is very important also, having the right people can also boost your confidence. Positive people will always speak positively into your life and life you up are down. Don’t surround yourself with persons that will intimated you or make you feel any less.
- Empower yourself with knowledge. Empowering yourself, in general, is one of the best strategies for building self-confidence. You can do that in many ways, but one of the surest ways to empower yourself is through knowledge. This is along the same vein as building competence and getting prepared … by becoming more knowledgeable, you’ll be more confident, so read books, magazines, and further your education if you have to.
- Never Compare Yourself To Others: I cant stress this enough, comparing yourself to others is rubbing yourself of your own blessings. Focus on your own path, your own uniqueness, focus on what makes you special and different from others, because dear friend you are special.
If you have any other tip or approach please comment below, and if you want to speak to me privately you can send me an email : email@example.com